بي تو              

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

برشت در بي‌داد‌گاه مك‌كارتي

:Mr. Brecht
My name is Bertolt Brecht. I am living at 34 West Seventy- third Street, New York. I was born in Augsburg, Germany, February 10, 1898.
.
.
.
:Mr. Stripling
?Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party of any country

:Mr. Brecht
Mr. Chairman, I have heard my colleagues when they considered this question not as proper, but I am a guest in this country and do not want to enter into any legal arguments, so I will answer your question fully as well I can. I was not a member, or am not a member, of any Communist Party.
.
.
.
:Mr. Stripling
Mr. Brecht, is it true that you have written a number of very revolutionary poems, plays, and other writings?

:Mr. Brecht
I have written a number of poems and songs and plays in the fight against Hitler and, of course, they can be considered, therefore, as revolutionary because I, of course, was for the overthrow of that government.

:The Chairman
Mr. Stripling, we are not interested in any works that he might have written advocating the overthrow of Germany or the government there.
.
.
.
:Mr. Brecht
Oh, yes. That is not an article, that is a scene out of a play I wrote in, I think, 1937 or 1938 in Denmark. The play is called Private Life of the Master Race, and this scene is one of the scenes out of this play about a Jewish woman in Berlin in the year of '36 or '37. It was, I see, printed in this magazine Ost und West, July 1946.
.
.
.
:Mr. Stripling
Mr. Brecht, may I interrupt you? Would you consider the play to be pro-Communist or anti-Communist, or would it take a neutral position regarding Communists?

:Mr. Brecht
No, I would say-you see, literature has the right and the duty to give to the public the ideas of the time. Now, in this play-of course, I wrote about twenty plays-but in this play I tried to express the feelings and the ideas of the German workers who then fought against Hit-ler. I also formulated in an artistic-

:Mr. Stripling
?Fighting against Hitler, did you say

:Mr. Brecht
.Yes

:Mr. Stripling
?Written in 1930

:Mr. Brecht
...Yes, yes. Oh, yes, that fight started in 1923